Dangerous Diets Can Send You to the ER
Dangerous Diets Can Send You to the ER
We’ve all heard how important maintaining a healthy weight is for our well-being. However, how we achieve and maintain this ideal weight is as important as how much we weigh. Unfortunately, dangerous diets can send you to the ER.
In our quest to lose those extra pounds, many of us resort to extreme or fad diets that promise to shed pounds, increase our energy, and prolong our life. Sadly, most of these fashionable diets do not have a scientific basis and often cut out essential food groups that our bodies need to function correctly.
Depriving your body of certain nutrients can have dire consequences for your health. In some extreme cases, it can land you in the emergency room.
At Post Oak ER, the emergency room set at the heart of Houston, Texas, we’re happy to provide you with the emergency care that you need during those crucial hours. We’re fast, have no long wait times, and are open 24/7 including holidays.
Get to know about the dangers of fad diets as well as the warning signs to visit the nearest ER.
The Dangers of Fad Diets and Unhealthy Fasting
The internet is full of diet gurus who claim they’ve found the ultimate secret to losing weight. However, many of these self-proclaimed experts are charlatans trying to make money without regard for their client’s health.
Many of these diet plans we see advertised advocate for an extreme calorie deficit which can deprive your system of essential nutrients. When our bodies don’t receive the proper nutrition, it can spell disaster for our health. These are some of the symptoms and conditions we can develop by not getting adequate nutrition:
- Lack of energy and constantly feeling tired
- Gallbladder disease
- Loss of muscle mass and the development of muscle atrophy
- Skin conditions, including dry skin and rashes
- Changes in mood – irritability, anxiety, or depression
- Hair loss or thinning hair
- Metabolic acidosis (Our body fluids contain too much acid) – this can lead to kidney stones, kidney failure, bone disease
- Decreased sex drive
- Insulin resistance – a precursor to Type 2 Diabetes
- Weakened immune system
Warning Signs of a Dangerous Diet
There are signs that you are following a diet that is not right for you, such as
- Feeling hungry – a healthy, balanced diet should never leave you feeling hungry
- Lack of energy – Deficiencies in certain nutrients push the body to work harder and may result in extreme fatigue
- Mouth sores and wounds – recurring mouth sores and wounds could signal you are not getting enough vitamin C and B from your diet
- Tingling or numbness in your hands or feet – Tingling in your extremities can signify a vitamin B deficiency. Vitamin B6 and B12 help care for your nervous system and help relieve anxiety, depression, and
- Changes in Mood – Changes in your emotional state can also signify a vitamin deficiency. Vitamin B6 and B12 help care for your nervous system and help relieve anxiety, depression, and hormonal imbalances
When to Go to the ER
If you are trying to lose weight by following a restrictive diet and develop any of the following symptoms, please seek immediate medical attention:
- Palpitations or irregular heartbeat
- Chest Pain
- Trouble Breathing
- Trouble Urinating
- Vomiting that lasts for more than one day
- Feeling confused or disoriented
- Dizziness, feeling faint, or loss of consciousness
- Abdominal pain
- Fever higher than 103 F
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness in arms or legs
At Post Oak ER, we encourage patients to maintain a healthy weight to avoid potential illness and chronic conditions. If you are trying to lose weight, we urge you to consult your doctor before starting any new diet or exercise routine. Your doctor can recommend a diet plan that is right for you.
But if you should have a doubt as to whether or not you are experiencing a medical emergency, you can count on Post Oak ER to help!
We Are Here to Help
If you are experiencing persistent or severe respiratory symptoms, please don’t hesitate to come to our ER for an evaluation and treatment.
Our expert doctors and caring staff are here 24/7 to provide a helping hand with all your medical emergency needs.
At Post Oak ER, we believe everyone should have access to quality medical emergency care near them in a comfortable and convenient location that offers advanced technology and skilled medical professionals.
Where to go in Case of an Emergency?
At Post Oak ER, our doors remain open to provide care for you and your family.
Looking for the best quality 24-hour Emergency Room services?
If an emergency strikes, you have a choice! At Post Oak ER we’re open during all weekends, and holidays & offer FREE Medical Screening! There is no need to risk your health or your life. Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately at 5018 San Felipe St, Houston, TX 77056
You may call us, check in online, or walk-in as we are always open.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Here you will find experienced, effective and caring emergency physicians as well as the best on-site ER technology for everything from minor to major injuries and conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities